Saturday, August 25, 2012

Who's afraid of the big bad wolf?

I saw this show last night:


It was refreshing. All my life I’ve heard it said that there are no confirmed reports of people killed by wolves. That’s just folklore. Or so we're told.

Of course, even if there were no confirmed reports, that wouldn’t mean much. Wolves (and scavenges) tend to consume the evidence. Moreover, victims are usually killed in remote, isolated areas. So I wouldn’t necessarily expect their death to be reported. In the wilderness, you can disappear without a trace.

I never believed the claim. This is animal rights propaganda. It’s antecedently improbable that a hungry wolf pack wouldn’t kill a human. An unarmed human is easy prey. Much easier than a bull moose. 

The only reason wolves would hesitate to kill humans is if they fear humans, which would only be the case if wolves are hunted by humans. But that's what "conservationists" oppose. 

Environmentalists, who generally live in cities, are reacting to a time when ranchers hunted local wolves to extinction. So they try to portray wolves as “misunderstood” animals.

I think it’s nice to have areas where wild animals (including major predators) can survive and thrive. But let’s not pretend that wolves aren’t potentially dangerous to man.

1 comment:

  1. For an easy refutation of this pablum, even something as simple as Wikipedia suffices: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolf_attacks_on_humans

    Take a look at the sole entry for 1922. I hope that man was a Believer, because I want to hear all of story some day!

    ReplyDelete